Monday, August 3, 2009

Brandon Webb and MLB Fair-weather Fans

There is a story on ESPN this morning about how Diamondback's ace Brandon Webb, will have surgery on his sore shoulder after trying several conservative methods of easing that pain. Webb has not pitched since opening day this season, and is now opting to have surgery. The story did not surprise me, what really surprised me was the poll on the new ESPN TV show, SportsNation, and the results. The question was, Is Brandon Webb done as an effective starting pitcher after his latest setback? Wow. Now I know the D-backs don't get a lot of news coverage, I mean I can't even watch their games unless they are playing the Rockies, but seriously, 42 percent feel he's done? I can't believe it. Anyone who has seen Webb pitch will tell you there is no way he is done. The guy is a workhorse, he may not get strikeouts, but he is effective. The highest his ERA has been in a full season is 3.59 and that was the year after his rookie season. The D-backs are No. 16 in the majors this year in team ERA with a 4.26, considering they are missing their staff ace, I'd say that is pretty respectable. Now Webb is a career 87-62 with a 3.27 ERA. He will come back after surgery, more motivated than ever and prove the critics wrong. With a healthy Webb in the rotation, the D-backs would be a completely different team. Webb, Haren, and Jon Garland would for sure put the D-backs in the playoffs, as long as the team does not become "sellers" before next season. Even though it sounds as if I have given up on my team, like some bandwagon-jumping, fair-weather fan loser, I have not. They can still, mathmatically, win the division and while there is that glimmer of hope, no matter how slim, I will be rooting for them. I will be a D-back through and through, because I will always remember the feeling of having my team win the World Series in 2001, a team that I stuck with even through the two blown saves at Yankee Stadium, by a closer who's name I will not and refuse to repeat. I can still remember the day Luis Gonzalez delivered the game-winning hit against arguably the greatest closer of all-time, Mariano Rivera, over the head of Derek Jeter. To support that team through thick and thin during their championship run was the best baseball season in my short life. I will never ever turn on my team, even if they become like the Pirates, just an MLB farm club for the Red Sox. I will bleed D-back crimson till the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment